30/07/2010

Formula 1 Race Twelve: Preview

It's time for the Hungarian Grand Prix. After this race, we have the summer break, so at least I won't be missing two races while I'm away! I'll try and get some time off on Wednesday to get home and watch the race on iPlayer. Hooray for the BBC!
Karun Chandhok, once again, was not in his car, giving it over to Yamamoto. Instead, he was with the BBC guys. He is incredibly knowledgeable about formula 1 facts, without having to look it up on the internet like me. I'm very impressed. Last week, his knowledge meant £50 went to charity from another commentator.
This time last year was a bad race for Ferrari thanks to the horrific accident suffered by Filipe Massa in qualifying. A metal coil hit his helmet, and he spun off into the wall. The tyre marks from that accident are still on display at the track, having not been removed by the rain. But Massa's performance over the last year shows that the accident didn't affect him too much, and he still has what it takes to (almost) win an F1 race.
Interesting comment from Christian Horner at Red Bull: in Istanbul this year, Red Bull faced a similar situation to Ferrari in Hockenheim. However, they let their drivers compete, and it ended up that MacLaren won. While it was not so good for Red Bull, it made for a much more exciting race.
It looks from Practice 1 and 2 that Petrov is going to be the surprise good driver this weekend, so keep an eye on him during the race. If he does well, he could retain his place at Renault next season. Also, Red Bull and Ferrari have been the two fastest teams, with Renault and MacLaren further behind. I don't usually make predictions, but barring accidents I'd say the competition will be between Webber, Vettel and Alonso.

Just a reminder: I will probably not be online for the next week. I might get to catch up with the race on Wednesday, and I'll post my thoughts then if I do. Otherwise, I'll be back for the start of the qualifying for Euro 2012. Yes, it really does start this early.

No comments:

Post a Comment